Tania Salahat Cardenas

Character Animator / Animation TD

Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Great Jake (2001 - 2011)

A little less than 10 years ago, I convinced my parents to buy me a lizard as a belated Christmas gift. I had my eye on a Chinese Water Dragon. There were five in the cage, but I knew just the one I wanted the minute I saw him. Maybe he knew too, because he immediately leaped onto my shoulder.



I named him "Uncle Jake," because I was a silly college girl who thought that was just the greatest name. An instant bond was formed and I know that's hard for a lot of people to understand. But Jake liked to cuddle with stuffed animals, and he liked to sit on my lap while I did homework. He was a pet and he was a great one.

Gah, look how small baby Jake was.

Once Jake got bigger, my dad, The Engineer, built him a 6ft tree to live on. He had MBD and his bones were fragile, though they healed up very nicely. Jake's tree had a ramp, but he loved to jump off the top anyways.



Jake was quite famous in his time. He starred in a small (student) indie film where he played a giant lizard. He was featured in a calendar for his glorious FancyPants™. Jake has been painted and drawn by many talented artists. He was even a guest star in our winning Green Mountain Energy video.



I'm not sure what the point of this post was suppose to be, because even now, just nearing the end of it makes me sad. I guess it was just to say:

There was a Chinese Water Dragon named Uncle Jake. He was a great companion and a famous movie star. When he was excited, he could run on two legs. When he took baths, he swam like an alligator. He loved the ladies and anything shiny. His favorite past-time was sitting. He ate flowers, even if they were silk. He lived 10 wonderful years and he will be missed very much.



My life wont be the same without him.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Sunday Afternoon Housewife said…

    Tania- what a lovely post and way to remember Jake. When you have someone in your life for that long, it's hard to say goodbye. You are probably the best lizard mama I ever met. You gave Jake a great 10 years and he was just as lucky to have you as you were to have him. I'm really sorry for your loss.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger Tim Hatcher said…

    What a lovely tribute to a dear friend. Thank you for sharing that. I can remember you talking about Jake eons ago when we worked together. How blessed your were to have him for a whole decade.

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Blogger Mr. Will said…

    I am sorry to hear about Jake. I will never forget my only encounter with him. I came to your apartment to give you and Richard the concert tix I picked up for you guys since the show was at UTA and I kept hearing this rattling noise coming from the other room. I had no idea what it was until Jake came running into the room and I'm pretty sure it took every ounce of my pride to not run haha.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger HoI said…

    What a wonderful post and heartfelt memorial to Uncle Jake. You guys were obviously best buds! Although your heart may ache as you think about all of your memories together, in time it will get easier to smile when something random makes you think of Jake and his quirky Jake-isms :)

    Pets have such a huge place in our hearts and I always thought it a bit cruel that their lifespans do not match ours. I suppose us animals lovers are meant to have many "babies" in OUR lifetime. so as to experience the joy of their individualism and teach us more about different types of love.

    There is a "pet heaven" somewhere, there just HAS to be. :) Wishing you happy thoughts.
    *hugs*

    -L

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Funky Finds said…

    Again, I am sorry for your loss. Glad you had 10 wonderful years with a great pal & pet. Jake was so handsome! He will be missed.

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger taniamc said…

    Thank you all for your lovely comments and memories. It truly means a lot to me that you took the time to send such kind and sweet thoughts my way.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger sam said…

    We are sorry to hear about Uncle Jake. We had a nice time with him that we never forget, Karima called every lizard Jake.
    You gave Jake the best care and a unforgotten life.
    He will be missed by all of us.
    Sam

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger taniamc said…

    Thanks for the kind words. :) I miss him very much. I miss you guys too! I'm glad you got a chance to meet him when you were here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home