Tania Salahat Cardenas

Character Animator / Animation TD

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Blast from the Past

Today, my goal is to get the house cleaned up a bit. Usually, I will either turn on some music or put a movie on in the background while I work. Before I started digging through DVDS, I checked out the TV schedule to see if there were any good movies to record. I came across a movie from 1986 with the description: "A man becomes a heroic cartoon rabbit." A man that turns INTO a cartoon rabbit? I'm thinking that this certainly sounds interesting... I must see what it's about.

As soon as the intro screen for the movie starts up, my jaw hits the floor. I had completely forgotten about this movie, but within a minute it all comes flooding back to me.


I must have watched this movie a million times as a kid, because I can hear myself reciting the lines despite my own disbelief. Isn't it funny how nostalgia can hit you from out of nowhere? I feel like a kid all over again, giggling at these ridiculous scenes!

On a side note, I am noticing that many of the 1980's movies I watched as child have a similar theme. A very young child (or rabbit, in this case) suddenly finds himself with an disproportionate set of responsibilities which demands that he/she leave their friends and family behind for the betterment of the world. Yikes! Seems a little heavy, looking back on it now, but I much prefer it to the death-by-sequel approach we seem to have now.

I'm curious, did anyone else watch this movie as a child? It seems the movies that I remember watching -- no one else has seen! Amoungst these are: Rikki Tikki Tavi, The Adventures of Unico, and the above mentioned movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home