Tania Salahat Cardenas

Character Animator / Animation TD

Monday, November 17, 2008

Pie Crust on Shark Week

A very good friend of ours, Phan, visited from out of town last week. He got in late Tuesday night and immediately started calling the new dog "Piecrust." Admittedly, we have yet to come up with a name that seems perfect for her... and we really need to settle on something. Calling her "new dog," "girl dog" and "hey you" just isn't going to cut it. Maybe that's why she started paying attention to Piecrust, it was the first thing that loosely resembled a name. Or, maybe her turning her head twice when he called was merely a coincidence.

On Wednesday I got a phone call from the rescue group, Lost Paws Rescue of Texas, notifying me that the new dog was to have her pins out on Friday. On Friday! What happened to three or four weeks? Sheesh, I was not prepared for this. On Friday we were having a party for our friend and I couldn't imagine that being a good environment for a post pin-removal dog. We arranged for the vet to keep her Friday night, and nervously dropped her off Friday morning.

I was not familiar with the vet that they used. It seemed like a nice place, and the people seemed like nice people... but I have to confess that I did not leave feeling comforted. I almost felt as if I had not received their stamp of approval, as if I were not worthy of rescuing this dog. I am sure it was mostly in my head, but it was there none the less.

At this point in time, everyone had started calling her Piecrust. Everyone except Phan, who was now calling her "Shark Week." Before he left, he encouraged her to "live every day as if it's Shark Week." We picked her up Saturday morning, and that is exactly what she did. Richard and I left to run to the store. We wanted to get some little baby proof locks for the kitchen doors, which was where we were keeping her and Mosley during the day. We also wanted to get some rawhides for her to chew on, since every once in a while I would see her nibbling on her bed.

When we got home, the kitchen floor was covered in brown snow. Richard had a look of dismay on his face, and I had no idea what I was looking at. As I got further through the door, I saw what he was pointing at. "Shark Week" had nudged the kitchen doors open enough to destroy whatever carpet she could get too. And I do not use the term "destroy" lightly.



On a happier note, the vet said her leg is healing great! I really thought once the pins were removed it was going to be quite the drastic. stomach-churning sight. But it really is minuscule! She is back to walking on it lightly, just like she was before they removed the pins. The vet says in a week she should be using it regularly.



So that's that for updates. Leg seems to be healing nicely, but the overnight trip to the vet seems to have set us back some training-wise. It is strange. In terms of house training and carpet destroying, I feel like we are back to square 2. But she is doing exponentially better when we put her up at night. Anyways, I hope we are back on track and doing great by the end of the week. If you have any suggestions for her name, please post them here. We could use some help.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger -amber- said…

    "Jumanji". Or maybe "Clean House", since she responded so well to "Shark Week". Although I liked "Pie Crust"...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home