Tania Salahat Cardenas

Character Animator / Animation TD

Monday, November 10, 2008

An Unexpected Turn of Events

Well, here I was on Friday talking about how crazy things are... and what do we do? We turn up the notch on the crazy machine!

This weekend my parents came over to visit. My husband and father went over to Frys to buy some parts for a computer they are building. As much fun as it is to follow boys arounds the component department of Frys, my mom and I opted for wandering off. We were heading over to Kohls to waste some time when we saw a sign for Lost Paws Adoptions at the pet store. A simple left turn and we were in front of the store.

As soon as I walked in I started mumbling curse words. There, in the cage closest to the door, was a beautiful Italian Greyhound. Why would this cause me to leap into profanity? Because I have always wanted an Italian Greyhound. But, we have also always said our next dog would be a rescue dog and you rarely find Italian Greyhounds in rescues. Add that to the fact that I have been saying we really should wait on another dog, you know, until things calmed down.

So we walked over to her cage, took her out, and instantly bonded. The rest is history! So enough text, here she is:


(Click to see more pictures.)

The name the shelter gave her is Athena, but we are trying to think of our own name for her. She isn't really responding to Athena, so it doesn't seem cruel to find something that suits her more. She is about 2 years old and a purebred Italian Greyhound. She the most relaxed small dog I have ever met. Up until four weeks ago, she had lived her entire life in a kennel. When she was young she broke her leg, but the breeder never fixed it. It healed wrong and she lost all use of it, dragging it behinde her. When the shelter received her, they took her to the vet to have her leg amputated. The vet told them he thought he could save the leg. So, they rebroke the leg and put three pins in it. She has to keep the pins in for 8 weeks. They are not sure if she will regain the complete use of it or not. But, she is already trying to use the leg. Last night she was even walking on it, slowly but surely. I am very optimistic. But, even if she cannot, she moves with incredible speed and balance without it. Thank god for the vet, because I honestly do think he saved her leg. Fingers Crossed!

That's it for now!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger -amber- said…

    omg!!!! Too Cute!!! Mosley looks so happy to have a new friend! I'm glad you finally found a rescue italian greyhound!!!! Congratulations!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home